More from George Gosling
London’s first charity shop?
Between 1870 and the end of the 1930s, this was the site of the first known fundraising shop in London’s history. It was, however, rather different from the charity shops we know today.
Social housing for the East End’s Jewish community
The arch still standing here marks the site of the first housing estate of the Four Per Cent Industrial Dwellings Company, a pioneering social housing project set up by Nathan Mayer Rothschild in the 1880s.
More in United Kingdom
Former site of Blackfriars Monastery
The Dominican monks, colloquially called the Blackfriars because of their black habits, had an impressive monastery after which this area of London is named. After intense involvement in Henry VIII’s love life, they were dissolved along with all of England’s other orders.