Leave a Reply

More from Eleanor Janega

Apothecaries’ Hall

The oldest extant guildhall London belongs to the Worshipful Society of Apothecaries. Originally a part of the Grocers’ Guild they split off to form their own society as ideas about medicine changed.

Blackheath

During the Peasants’ Revolt of 1381, the peasants gathered on Blackheath to hear sermons from John Ball, before attacking London.

Whoresnest: the story of the Bankside Stews

Until the C16th, the area next to the river in Lambeth was home to the so-called Bankside Stews, a collection of bathhouses that doubled as brothels.

More in United Kingdom

The Barbican and the Making of the Modern Office Building – Pt. 1

The Barbican Redevelopment Scheme, comprising the Barbican Estate, Barbican Arts Centre and the office buildings around London Wall and Moorgate, is well known to people with an affection for twentieth-century architecture, and has become major cultural centre in its own right. Nevertheless, very few people are aware of how a type of plastic manufactured in rural Kent quietly revolutionised the design and construction of modern office building, in particular the curtain-walling systems that enabled open-plan offices. In the first of two viewpoints on the New Barbican, Alexander Davidson tells a story encompassing two office buildings built as part of the Barbican Redevelopment Scheme – Lee House and St Alphage House – and how the plastic Holoplast was manufactured, used in construction, and eventually came to be demonised by the City of London Corporation.