More from John Boughton
Keeling House, Bethnal Green
A Denys Lasdun Grade II-listed masterpiece, council housing designed in innovative cluster block form for Bethnal Green Metropolitan Borough Council and completed in 1959.
The Brandon Estate
A showpiece council estate of the London County Council opened in 1960, famous its 18-storey point blocks and a Henry Moore sculpture.
The Old Oak Estate
A cottage estate built by the London County Council from 1911 – ‘the culminating achievement of the Council’s venture into garden suburb planning before the First World War’.
More in United Kingdom
The north-east corner of St Paul’s Churchyard was from the fourteenth to the seventeenth centuries a space where people came to gather and hear sermons preached from an open-air pulpit. During the fierce debates of the Reformation it was on the frontline of a vicious war of words.