More from George Gosling
The Blind Veterans Shop
After the First World War, the blinded veterans charity St Dunstan’s opened a shop on Regent Street to sell the craft items the men had been trained to make in their workshops.
St Dunstan’s Lodge for blinded veterans
It was this building that gave its name to the charity set up in the 1915 to provide rehabilitation, training and lifelong support to those who lost their sight in war.
Christian Aid’s first shop
Where today we find Chanel, between 1964 and 1970 we would have found the first Christian Aid shop. This was not, however, quite like the charity shops so familiar to us now.
More in United Kingdom
In this viewpoint, Bevin Court – originally to be called Lenin Court – offers a lens for understanding how architectural modernism went from a movement associated with communist architects from abroad to a symbol of the British welfare state.