Leave a Reply

More from Johanna Dale

Heaven is a place on Earth

This place fulfilled the promise of its name in 634 when Oswald of Northumbria won his famous victory over Cadwallon.

Peterborough’s Right-Hand Man

One of the most precious possessions of the monks of Peterborough was the incorrupt right arm of King Oswald. What was this relic? And how did it come to be installed in a chapel in Peterborough Abbey?

A northern saint-king in Gloucester

In 909 the bones of Oswald of Northumbria were brought to Gloucester from Bardney in Lincolnshire by Æthelred and Æthelflæd, rulers of Mercia. In time the minster they had founded in Gloucester came to be named after this northern king. Find out why a northern king was an attractive patron to Merican rulers and how the northern connection was later reactivated by the Archbishops of York.

More in United Kingdom

‘Following the Leader (Memorial to the Children Killed in the Blitz)’, Peter Laszlo Peri. Vauxhall Gardens estate, Vauxhall

By Rosamund Lily West. This viewpoint looks at the earliest of Peter Laszlo Peri’s Lambeth murals, ‘Following the Leader (Memorial to the Children Killed in the Blitz)’. Dating to 1949, it was installed on the stairwell of Darley House on the Vauxhall Gardens estate.