More from Rosamund Lily West
‘Following the Leader (Memorial to the Children Killed in the Blitz)’, Peter Laszlo Peri. Vauxhall Gardens estate, Vauxhall
This viewpoint looks at the earliest of Peter Laszlo Peri’s Lambeth murals, ‘Following the Leader (Memorial to the Children Killed in the Blitz)’. Dating to 1949, it was installed on the stairwell of Darley House on the Vauxhall Gardens estate.
‘The Lesson’, Franta Belsky. Avebury estate, Bethnal Green
The sculpture, ‘The Lesson’, by Franta Belsky, was installed on the Avebury estate in Bethnal Green in 1959 by the London County Council.
‘Pied Piper’, Willi Soukop. Elmington estate, Camberwell
The sculptural mural, ‘Pied Piper’, by Willi Soukop, was installed on the Elmington estate in Camberwell in 1959 by the London County Council. This viewpoint looks at the theme of the Pied Piper and how the LCC wanted the mural to resonate with residents, in particular, children.
More in United Kingdom
The King’s Mews
Before The National Gallery, a gigantic Georgian stable complex stood here, tending to the needs of over 200 royal horses and housing dozens of workers. The King’s Mews was at the heart of one of the biggest urban horse populations in the world and an equestrian craze that gripped an entire nation.