More from George Gosling
St Dunstan’s Lodge for blinded veterans
It was this building that gave its name to the charity set up in the 1915 to provide rehabilitation, training and lifelong support to those who lost their sight in war.
More in United Kingdom
Empty plinth of ‘The Dockers’ on the Lansbury estate, Poplar
By Rosamund Lily West. In 1962, the LCC installed ‘The Dockers’ by Sydney Harpley on the Lansbury estate in Poplar. Today, the sculpture is not there, it’s just an empty plinth. This viewpoint looks at why the LCC chose the subject of dockers and how the collapse of the industry in the area is linked to the vandalisation, and subsequent removal, of the sculpture.