We invite experts of all kinds to join the Placecloud community and start using our live, online, ‘street view tours’ platform. The platform allows you to generate income from your audience in a format that has been specifically designed for the communication of the cultural dimension of the built environment.
And of course, experts can also publish viewpoints (if you aren’t already), contributing to the overall Placecloud map, as well as building up your own map, which you can then share with your audience via your Placecloud profile url.
By converting your place-specific knowledge into viewpoints and sharing them widely you will:
- Grow your audience
- Attract a younger and more diverse demographic
- Allow people to explore an area using your own map of viewpoints
- Draw attention to underlying books, subscriptions, memberships, websites, blogs
- Contribute to the enrichment of our common public spaces
Street View Tours
Use Placecloud’s street view tours platform to:
- Generate a new income stream
- Diversify your offering
- Make the knowledge you hold more accessible
- Continue to earn income during lockdowns
We encourage applications from across the whole spectrum of the humanities. No matter how niche your area, apply above and we’ll get back to you within a day.
Any expert in a field associated with Placecloud, for example:
- An academic researcher interested in place through the lens of their discipline – e.g. an archaeologist, ethnographer, historian, literarian, geographer, etc.
- A published author of history, literary nonfiction, travel, biography, poetry, etc.
- A researcher associated with a cultural organisation – e.g. museums, archives, Historical Memory Organisations, Heritage NGOs, literary societies, etc.
- A local historian associated with a local history organisation
Absolutely not. We built Placecloud to be simple to use for anyone, regardless of their level of technology know-how. Everything is done inside Placecloud – you won’t need anything except a smartphone or computer.
Viewpoints are short (2-20 minutes) narratives that bring a place to life. They may contain knowledge, memory or imagination. Most viewpoints consist of passages read from books, though experts’ viewpoints often come from their own expert minds.
A ‘place’ may be a building, a tree, a park bench, the corner of a field, the turn in a lane, a street corner. No place is out of bounds on Placecloud.
From a technical point of view, viewpoints are simply homemade audio recordings combined with GPS co-ordinates, images and (where available) Google Street View imagery.
Placecloud’s street view tours platform combines Google’s Street View technology with a live video stream and chatbox to create a crystal-clear virtual city tour experience. Participants can join from anywhere in the world.
As a Placecloud expert, you set the ticket price. You keep 80% of net income from ticket sales (after VAT and a £0.50 per ticket service fee)