More from Rosamund Lily West
‘The Neighbours’, Siegfried Charoux. Highbury Quadrant estate, Highbury
The sculpture, ‘The Neighbours’, by Siegfried Charoux, was installed on the Highbury Quadrant estate in Highbury in 1959 by the London County Council. This viewpoint looks at the choice of neighbours for this sculpture, and how the theme of neighbourliness was used by the LCC to establish the post-war Highbury Quadrant estate and its community.
‘Blind Beggar and his Dog’, Elisabeth Frink. Cranbrook estate, Bethnal Green
Elisabeth Frink’s Blind Beggar and his Dog’ was installed in 1963 outside the bungalows built for the elderly on Bethnal Green’s Cranbrook estate. This viewpoint looks at the significance of the blind beggar for the early residents of the Cranbrook estate and the old Metropolitan Borough of Bethnal Green.
‘Pied Piper’, Willi Soukop. Elmington estate, Camberwell
The sculptural mural, ‘Pied Piper’, by Willi Soukop, was installed on the Elmington estate in Camberwell in 1959 by the London County Council. This viewpoint looks at the theme of the Pied Piper and how the LCC wanted the mural to resonate with residents, in particular, children.
More in United Kingdom
The Golden Boy at Cock Lane
The statue of the Golden Boy marks the spot where the Great Fire of London was finally stopped. It sits at the corner of Cock Lane in Smithfield, so-named because of the many brothels lining the street.