More from Rosamund Lily West
‘Blind Beggar and his Dog’, Elisabeth Frink. Cranbrook estate, Bethnal Green
By Rosamund Lily West. Elisabeth Frink’s Blind Beggar and his Dog’ was installed in 1963 outside the bungalows built for the elderly on Bethnal Green’s Cranbrook estate. This viewpoint looks at the significance of the blind beggar for the early residents of the Cranbrook estate and the old Metropolitan Borough of Bethnal Green.
Empty plinth of ‘The Dockers’ on the Lansbury estate, Poplar
By Rosamund Lily West. In 1962, the LCC installed ‘The Dockers’ by Sydney Harpley on the Lansbury estate in Poplar. Today, the sculpture is not there, it’s just an empty plinth. This viewpoint looks at why the LCC chose the subject of dockers and how the collapse of the industry in the area is linked to the vandalisation, and subsequent removal, of the sculpture.
‘The Lesson’, Franta Belsky. Avebury estate, Bethnal Green
By Rosamund Lily West. The sculpture, ‘The Lesson’, by Franta Belsky, was installed on the Avebury estate in Bethnal Green in 1959 by the London County Council.