More from Rosamund Lily West
‘The Lesson’, Franta Belsky. Avebury estate, Bethnal Green
The sculpture, ‘The Lesson’, by Franta Belsky, was installed on the Avebury estate in Bethnal Green in 1959 by the London County Council.
‘The Neighbours’, Siegfried Charoux. Highbury Quadrant estate, Highbury
The sculpture, ‘The Neighbours’, by Siegfried Charoux, was installed on the Highbury Quadrant estate in Highbury in 1959 by the London County Council. This viewpoint looks at the choice of neighbours for this sculpture, and how the theme of neighbourliness was used by the LCC to establish the post-war Highbury Quadrant estate and its community.
‘Following the Leader (Memorial to the Children Killed in the Blitz)’, Peter Laszlo Peri. Vauxhall Gardens estate, Vauxhall
This viewpoint looks at the earliest of Peter Laszlo Peri’s Lambeth murals, ‘Following the Leader (Memorial to the Children Killed in the Blitz)’. Dating to 1949, it was installed on the stairwell of Darley House on the Vauxhall Gardens estate.