It’s easy to make crisp, clean audio recordings on your smartphone. We’ve outlined a few tips, below.
- Surround yourself with pillows, rugs, sofas, etc. If you can, make the recording under a duvet! Seriously, it works
- Wear natural clothes. Synthetic clothes make sounds that the microphone picks up
- Open up your voice recording app on your smartphone. The audio file needs to be MP3, so if you use an iPhone, the ‘voice memo’ app is fine. On Android, we recommend an app called ‘MP3 Recorder‘.
- If you can, use a lapel mic plugged into your smartphone. Attach the mic to your chest, above your hear
- If you don’t have a lapel mic, no problem. Simply hold your smartphone out in front of your chest about 30cm away
- Practice the beginnings and ends of recordings – aim to eliminate long spaces and extra sounds
- Speak slowly! More slowly than feels natural…
- Keep it simple. It’s better if a viewpoint contains one, single narrative. Don’t try to fit in multiple stories. (Make a new viewpoint for each one)
- Express yourself! People don’t want to hear an actor, they want to hear a real human being – you!
- After you’ve made your recording, transfer it to your computer: simply press ‘share’ on the audio file, and the app will give you a list of options, e.g. using Dropbox, or Gmail etc.
- Finally, once the audio file is on your computer, you might upload it to Audio Trimmer. This is a really easy, free, online service that allows you to trim the beginning and end of your audio. Having a smooth beginning, especially, makes a big difference to the listening experience.
- You now have a fantastic, clean audio file on your computer hard drive, ready to be uploaded into your viewpoint.
- To create your viewpoint, simply visit your Dashboard and get started from there.
If you have any questions please do contact us at [email protected]
MOST IMPORTANTLY – HAVE FUN 🙂